Why is recycling important?
- Recycling provides the paper manufacturing industry with a useful raw material for its paper products, namely paper packaging and tissue.
- Many livelihoods are sustained through the recycling economy – from the informal waste collectors who trudge the streets to small businesses who transport recycling, right through to paper mills and companies that make new paper products that help make our life better and our jobs easier.
- Recycling extends the life of landfills. One tonne of recovered paper is equal to three cubic metres of landfill space.
- Paper recycling ensures that the carbon (stored in paper) remains out of the atmosphere for longer.
- It helps people like you make a tangible difference to the environment and the lives of others.