PAMSA PRU BURSARY PROGRAMME
Through PAMSA’s Process Research Unit, post-graduate BSc chemical engineering students are able to take their studies to a Masters and PhD level thanks to bursaries and positions offered by our member companies. M.Eng. and PhD students are enrolled at the universities of Pretoria, Stellenbosch, KZN, Wits and North West.
Successful candidates gain advanced skills during their post-graduate training in specialist fields such as wood science, chemical analysis, material and energy balances, process modelling, material flow analysis and separation techniques.
2018/2019 Bursary Applications
Applications from post-graduate chemical engineering students are open for our Master of Engineering (M.Eng.) study and research programme.
Value of bursary: R100,000 per year for two years full time study of M.Eng. degree.
Applications are welcome from post-graduate chemical engineering students who meet the following requirements:
- BSc. Eng. (chemical engineering) candidates interested in enrolling for M.Eng. studies in the bio-technology space of the pulp, paper and packaging industry.
- A good academic record with a minimum 60% average in the final year of study.
- Applicants must have completed their studies in five years or less.
- Candidates should indicate their areas of interest, for example energy efficiency, renewable energy and biopolymers etc.
- South African citizenship an advantage.
Interviews will be held with selected candidates.
About the Process Research Unit
PAMSA’s Process Research Unit was formed to expand a regional research initiative and promote the sustainability of the local pulp, paper and packaging industry. Apart from its bursary programme, the unit coordinates research for the development of processes to efficiently utilise biomass feedstock (trees) for conversion to bio-products (paper and chemicals) and energy with minimal environmental impact. It also seeks to develop academic/research centres of excellence, both locally and abroad and engages in collaborative partnerships with industry and government agencies.
PAMSA also offers a number of short courses on request which can be tailor-made for specific mill requirements.
- Resource efficiency and cleaner production
- Cleaner production focusing on energy
- Hands-on pulp and papermaking
- Wet end chemistry
- Refining basics
- High yield pulping
- Water and effluent treatment