Paper recycling is important for a number of reasons – and some may surprise you. Continue reading
Latest News & Features
Despite an established forest conservation theory holding that tree harvesting should be strictly minimized to prevent the loss of biodiversity and to maintain carbon storage capacity, the new study shows that sustainable management of wood resources can achieve both goals while also reducing fossil fuel burning. The results were published March 28 in the Journal of Sustainable Forestry. Continue reading
Coles has placed scented ads in major metro newspapers to promote its Heston Blumenthal lemon myrtle hot cross buns in the run-up to Easter.
The scratch and sniff full-pager, developed by specialist scented advertising agency Reed Pacific Media in conjunction with Coles and UM, is said to reflect Blumenthal’s recipe featuring “notes of lemon myrtle and orange, with undertones of ginger.” Continue reading
We are told to ‘save the planet and go digital’ or save the environment by opting for e-billing. You may even have ‘please consider the environment…’ on your emails.
Let us stop buying into claims by service providers that going paperless saves trees and combats climate change.
The Packaging Council of South Africa has released an in-depth reference guide aimed at packaging designers, sustainability managers, line convertors, printers and students. The objective of this project has been to produce a guidance document that is sufficiently detailed to assist designers in all forms of packaging and paper. It will provide packaging and print designers, in particular, with a better understanding of the environmental implications of their design decisions, thus promoting good environmental practices without unnecessarily restricting choice. Continue reading
WASHINGTON – March 21, the International Council of Forest and Paper Associations (ICFPA) will celebrate the United Nations International Day of Forests. The ICFPA is proud to represent the contributions of the global forest products industry to sustainable development on a day designated to raise awareness of the importance of all types of forests. Continue reading
SAPPI Launches Opus DX
Now offering a comprehensive digital sheet lineup – McCoy®, Opus® DX and Flo® – for all of your digital printing needs. Continue reading
Johannesburg, 20 February 2014 – Mondi Group and WWF International announced today that they will work together in a three-year strategic partnership that focuses on increasing environmental stewardship in the packaging and paper sectors. Continue reading
The beauty of working with paper is that each creation can be unique. Whether it is for a birthday card, a get well card or a Valentine’s card, making your own cards, can be therapeutic and fun.
Here are five tips to get you started. The rest is all up to you.
- Take a trip to your local stationery shop. Buy some coloured paper and board that preferably carries a mark of certification (FSC, PEFC or SFI). This will assure you that the paper has come through a sustainable process, from the forest to production. (Don’t forget the glue, stamps and stickers)
- You don’t need to spend money either – hunt around the house and gather up old newspapers and magazines.
- Browse the internet for ideas, from origami heart envelopes to paper heart chains.
- Look up your favourite love poem, line from a movie or song. Print or write it out. Maybe you print a photo that means something to the both of you.
- Find a comfortable, quiet spot, sit down with a cup of tea, put on some music…. Revel in this moment and channel your inner artist
Send us a photo of your paper creations to firstname.lastname@example.org or on Twitter @PaperRocks_SA.